Friday, March 15, 2013

Livin on a Prayer (for spring to be here soon!)

Normally February is my "oh my goodness I cannot believe how awful this month is" month, and it just seems to drag on forever and ever with nary a peek of spring.  This year I was really excited as for some reason February just wasn't so bad.  And then?  And THEN?  Then came March.  Don't get me wrong ~ March has not been all bad.  We've had fun times for sure.  But this snow and cold and wet is killing my happiness one gray cloud at a time :P  16 more days...

Whooah, we're halfway there,
Whooah-oh, livin on a prayer...

So that I don't come off as a total Grumpy Gus, here are some good things that have been happening :)

1. Maya is, like, for real reading.  It's incredible to see (or hear) her pick up a book and just start reading it!  I take no credit for this as I haven't been very consistent on including phonics work in her schooling ~ one day it just clicked and she's now off and running!  She also started asking some more serious questions about God this week, and it is so neat to see her begin to process her own faith.  One night we had a fairly long discussion about how God answers prayer (ie. He doesn't always give us exactly what we ask for, or do it on our timeline).  The next day she scraped her leg, and she told Michael, "I prayed that God would make my scrape go away, and He's just doing the best He can right now."

2. Charlotte hasn't cried at preschool drop-off for over a month (yay!).  She likes her new student teacher, and especially likes that he brought in his two guinea pigs; she has never shared so much about school as she did the day she got to meet Piper and Isabel. They are best friends, they eat carrots, and Isabel has a louder squeak. In case you were curious.

3. Milo is making progress with his language!  I was starting to stress just a bit before his last checkup  but our pediatrician assured me that he was doing fine with his (then) 15 words/signs.  Today I was counting with him for the millionth time, and when I asked him to say the numbers after me he did!  I mean, noone but me would have understood what he was saying, but I'm taking it as a win :)  Somehow my friend Sierra always gets him to say new things; I think he saves up his new words for her, so I was glad he shared this one with me ;)

Pictures:




I've been watching my friend's kids part-time the last 2 weeks, and it's been going really well!  Alex (4) and Maya (5) play really well together.  Milo and Lilly are exactly 2 weeks apart in age, and I describe them as "frenemies" :)  They will be hugging and holding hands one minute, and screaming at each other over a dry-erase marker the next.  It's like toddler fight club up in here!  They're both still in that tippy-toddler stage, too, so it's a teensy bit hilarious to watch it play out (I intervene before anyone could possibly get hurt, don't worry ;))





"Milo is Unimpressed" face strikes again!












The following pictures were taken exactly 1 year ago today.  Oh how I long for the days of bare feet and sleeveless dresses...




No comments: