Saturday, January 1, 2011

The One With The Dream

For those of you who know me, this will come as no shock ~ my dream is to be a birth doula/photographer.  I think that pregnancy and birth are so amazing.  I want to help moms experience labor in birth in a meaningful way, and capture the moments that might otherwise be forgotten in the busyness of life after the baby is born.  This venture *might* also extend to doing newborn photography (because oh my goodness who wouldn't want to take pictures of newborn babies AS THEIR JOB???) but for now I'm keeping my goals narrow!

On Friday morning, my awesome friend Adrianne (who just so happens to be 39 weeks pregnant) allowed me to take maternity photos for her, in my very first "real" photo shoot.  I've taken millions (ok, thousands) of pictures of my kids, hundreds of my friends' kids, hundreds of my nephew...you get the picture (see what I did there? ;)).  But, this was my first time setting up an appointment and actually going to someone's house with the exclusive goal of photographing them.  To say I was a bit nervous is quite an understatement!  But, Adrianne and her husband Eric are super fun and easygoing people, and their 2-year-old daughter Kendall is hilarious, so they made the shoot really comfortable and fun!  I definitely still have a lot to learn, but I'm really happy with how it went and with how the photos turned out!  Adrianne has graciously allowed me to share some of them on here, so without further ado:

See, I *told* you Eric was easygoing!  Kendall wanted their bellies to touch :)

 
I think this is the only time I actually captured Kendall kissing a belly...too bad it's the wrong one!

We called this one, "Toddler Moms In Tiaras".  Shortly after this photo she had a quick and healthy delivery (at home no less!) of a "Dora the Explorer" kickball.

Isn't she lovely?

Where are my feet?????!!!!!

Phew!  There they are :)

Bird's Eye View

LOVE this one :)

Future soccer player? 

When we asked Kendall to tickle her baby brother, she poked him repeatedly.  Guess they at least know what's coming! 

Is her belly not amazing?

I mean really!

Proud Mama :)

Pretty soon they'll get to see him in color!

Only in reviewing these photos did I notice that baby's foot (elbow?) is totally sticking out of Adrianne's belly!  So unique and amazing!

She's got the whole world in her hands

<3 <3 <3

I really can't get over how amazing these two were to work with!

Thank you again to Adrianne and Eric for letting me take your photos!  It showed me that this really is what I want to do! :)

3 comments:

Jessica P said...

very beautiful pictures Sarah! keep up the great work.

picturingtheordinary said...

I hope your dream becomes a reality some day because I know how much you love the birth process and how much you love taking pictures! (Side note: I think you would be an amazing midwife)

The pictures are great and a wonderful way to document the last week(s) before the baby comes!

Heather said...

Sarah,
These photos are truly amazing! I am Eric's sister and to see the joy that you have captured is truly something priceless that I know they will charish forever!