Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Little Rant

Today, the girls and I met up with a friend at the playground.  Normally I'm all about letting them run free and just keeping an eye on where they are, but during today's visit I was a bit more helicopter-y than usual, as there was a toddler running around with a somewhat realistic looking toy rifle strapped to his back.  Yep, you read that right.  Toddler.  Rifle.  Strapped to his back.  I know it wasn't real, and it wasn't going to cause anyone physical harm, but I felt strangely uncomfortable seeing it!  Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty anti-gun for the most part.  I'm not into shooting ranges or hunting (though many people in my extended family are and that is fine with me :)).  No Nerf guns or water guns in our house any time soon.  The idea that my kids are going to be exposed to this stuff at the playground of all places makes me a little sad.  Isn't there enough actual violence in the world without needing to play pretend?  Ya, ya, "boys will be boys" and "they'll turn anything into guns" and all that jazz...but still...
/rant
Pictures :)
 

No comments: